How To Measure A Toilet Seat
Replacing an old toilet seat with a new one should be a simple enough procedure, right? Just decide whether you have a round or elongated toilet bowl and then buy the correct shape toilet seat to fit your bowl.
Well, it is easy, however, not that easy. Many a person has drove down to their local store to buy a replacement toilet seat, brought it home to find out that like for like shape, doesn’t necessarily mean like for like size.
Yes, not all standard sized toilet seats are the same and likewise, not all elongated toilet seats have the same measurements. That being said, most standard and elongated toilet seats should fit their equivalent shaped toilet bowl, however, it is always better to be safe than sorry and measure the toilet bowl before you buy a replacement seat.
This procedure will only take a minute, therefore, it will be worth the time.
How To Measure The Toilet Seat
Things you will need :
- A measuring tape
- A piece of paper and pen
- First of all, you will need to measure between the the two bolt holes where the toilet seat connects to the bowl. Measure at the centre point of the holes. In the US, the majority of toilet bowls will have a measurement of 5.5 inches.
- Second of all, measure the broadest part of the toilet, from the outer edge of the rim to the outer edge of the other rim.
- Finally, measure the length of the toilet bowl. To do this measure from the centre of the tip of the bowl and stretch the measuring tape until you reach the middle area between the bolt holes.
- Right down your measurements
The typical measurements of a standard and elongated toilet bowl are :
- Typical measurement between bolt holes : 5.5″
- Typical width measurement of toilet bowls : 14″ – 14.5″
- Typical round/standard length : 16″ – 17″
- Typical elongated/oval length: 18″ – 19″
And now you are ready to order the perfect size toilet seat for your toilet bowl.
What next? Choose from the variety of toilet seats from The Toilet Seat Guy Homepage where you can find the ideal toilet seat for you.